The programme focused on promoting climate-change resilient communities and local economies by establishing a standard, internationally recognised, country-based mechanism to channel climate finance to local government authorities in developing countries, particularly the Least Developed Countries (LDCs). LoCAL aimed to contribute to the achievement of the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), particularly the specific goals of Climate Action (SDG 13) and No Poverty (SDG 1).
We were assigned by UNCDF to conduct the Final Evaluation of the LoCAL Global Portfolio. The evaluation was done at three levels:
- Macro Level (portfolio and global level)
- Meso-Level (national level)
- Local Level (local government institutions & beneficiaries) against the OECD-DAC evaluation criteria.
As part of this evaluation, we:
• Assisted UNCDF and its development partners to meet their accountability and learning objectives
• Supported the capacity development of UNCDF’s partner LDC governments in the areas of climate finance and climate adaptation
• Supported ongoing attempts by LoCAL and its funders to capture good practice and lessons to date
• Updated of UNCDF global strategies for Local Development Finance. A theory-based evaluation approach with contribution analysis (assessment against rubrics and strength of evidence) will be used to collect evidence from various sources