To improve the sanitation situation and the sewerage system of Bangladesh’s third largest city, the Khulna Sewerage System Development Project (KSSDP) was initiated on the basis of the Master Plan developed in 2020, and is presently in the implementation phase. Khulna Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (KWASA) is the nodal agency for wastewater management inside the city corporation boundary as per the current statutory law. Previously in 2016, a detailed Wastewater Master Plan was prepared for Khulna City with assistance from Asian Development Bank (ADB).
To match with the aspired target of City-Wide Inclusive Sanitation (CWIS), updating the existing Wastewater Master Plan has become a necessity, while incorporating the KSSDP components. Efforts have been initiated to expand the facilities of organised sewerage system in previously uncovered parts (and possibly some newly developed sections) within the city limits and expand other types of sanitation facilities where organised sewerage system was not feasible earlier.
We are supporting KWASA in updation of the existing Waste Water Master Plan by incorporating the ongoing KSSDP components.
- Preparing the detailed plans on the expansion of sewerage systems for the areas uncovered by the ongoing KSSDP
- Identifying effective fecal sludge management and on-site sanitation solutions for the areas not feasible to be connected by
- Identifying new areas for a phase-wise expansion of sewerage and sanitation facilities, both for onsite (de-centralised) and centralised sanitation perspectives
- Outlining of institutional capacity development plan and resource requirement for KWASA to execute the wastewater/ sludge management system in a sustainable way
- Preparing phase-wise investment plan as appropriate