Capacity Building Support to Government of India (GoI) Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA), Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Karnataka, Meghalaya, Bihar and Assam
Year - 2013 - 2016
Client - Department for International Development (DFID), UK
Rashtriya Madhyamik Shiksha Abhiyan (RMSA) is Government of India's (GoI's) national programme for universalising secondary education. It aims to enhance access to secondary education and improve its quality across all social groups. The key objectives of the RMSA are (i) strengthening national level learning assessment and education management systems (ii) strengthening implementation capacity within the most-needy states. (iii) targeting support to the most disadvantaged children.
For the first year, focused on four thematic areas identified by state administrations as high priority, viz. :
- Budgeting and planning.
- Financial management and procurement.
- Civil works – building design, and quality monitoring.
- Teacher education and management.
We provided support to the Ministry of Human Resource Development, GoI, in areas of learning assessment, teacher management, school performance management, data management and evidence based planning in secondary education, both at national and state level. At the national level, we provide technical support to apex institutions like National Council for Educational Research and Training (NCERT) and National University for Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA) for developing learning assessment frameworks and strengthening the educational data management system. At the regional level, capacity building support is provided to the most needy states to reduce the gap in the pace and quality of RMSA implementation.
- Delivered an indicative cost implementation plan to support centre and state based offices over the duration of the programme;
- Established staffing in five state based offices in Patna, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar, Mysore and Shillong;
- Established head office in Delhi to support Delhi based institutions and provided overall coordination and relationship management;
- Developed an annual Technical Cooperation Fund (TCF) work-plan and audited accounts, etc;
- Delivered a 5 regional workshops per year across the five regional institutes of education.