Apply Now Back
Job Title / Position:
Project Director - UDAAN
Type of Employment :
Contractual ( Senior Level)
31 Mar, 2017
About IPE Global:
IPE Global Limited is an international development consulting group providing expert technical assistance and solutions for equitable development and sustainable growth in developing countries. The group’s areas of expertise includes Health, Nutrition and WASH, Urban and Infrastructure Development, Education and Skills Development, Private Sector Development,Environment and Climate Change, Social and Economic Empowerment, Governance, Grant and Fund Management, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning, and Information Technology & e-Governance.
- We are ISO 9001:2015 certified, CMMIÂ® Level 3 and ISO 27001:2013 certified company
- Over last 18 years, we have successfully implemented over 700 projects in over 100 countries
- We have over 800 full time professional staff and over 1000 empanelled consultants working on various projects across the globe
- We partner with multilateral & bilateral agencies including DFID, USAID, World Bank, DANIDA, KfW, EU, ADB, etc.; governments; private sector; and philanthropic organisation like BMGF, MasterCard Foundation, etc
- We have subsidiaries and offices in UK (IPE Triple Line), Kenya, Ethiopia, India, Bangladesh, and Philippines
For more details, please visit www.ipeglobal.com ; www.ipeafrica.com
About Project UDAAN
Project UDAAN, is a joint initiative by Government of Rajasthan (GoR) and Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), UK for a period of 4 years to prevent early marriage, early demonstrate a new model for transforming adolescent lives that is effective and scalable. This in-law, grandmothers) and apply proven practices to stimulate behavioural change. This investment will focus on 2 high-burden districts (Dhaulpur and Udaipur), demonstrating the model before scale-up. The project has four complementary components: -
- Component 1: Keeping Girls in School to prevent early marriage, pregnancy and childbearing.This will include increase demand for central scholarships (for SC, ST, OBC, Minorities); improve the process of beneficiary registration, verification, data compilation, grievance redress; build and strengthen systems for efficient delivery of scholarships through IT systems, capacity building and supervision
- Component 2: Build social networks under RKSK to ensure comprehensive sexual and reproductive education, and use technology to equip adolescent boys and girls with correct knowledge
- Component 3: Change community social norms that put girls at risk – thereby ensuring that girls remain in school, delay marriage to at least 18, first birth at 20 and contraceptive use
- Component 4: Support married adolescents – so that they have agency & means to protect themselves – to delay first birth, space subsequent births and thereby prevent low-birth weight.
As Project Director – UDAAN, S/he will provide overall leadership and be responsible for managing the execution of project interventions through effective use of resources. S/he will lead the process of development of overall strategies, designing approaches to meet project results/deliverables, including its long-term transformative impact on the way education,health and rural development responds to the needs of adolescents in Rajasthan.
S/he will be accountable for all aspects of planning, implementing, monitoring, budgeting,reporting and coordinating technical assistance and implementation of the project. S/he would also be required to engage in advocacy efforts with the implementing departments particularly on policy level interventions.
The Project Director will oversee all technical and managerial staff of the project to ensure contracts and agreements are executed and implemented to the satisfaction of the Project Steering Committee. Day-to-day collaboration will be required with all members of the staff to ensure the project is able to achieve its objectives.
Project Director - UDAAN will serve as the key contact point for all communication with CIFF,various implementing partners, government, evaluators, monitoring agencies and other stakeholders to develop consensus around the project and its implementation.
1. Strategy development, implementation and monitoring
- Support the development and execute overall project strategy, guide the team in designing action plans for executing the project interventions, lead the preparation of work-plan for the project on an annual basis and achieve project results;
- Ensure activities are implemented and monitored within the work plan, on time,within planned budgets and is of high quality;
- Ensure the timely and complete submission of all work plans, progress reports,performance reports and responses to Client requests for performance, successstories, and financial and procurement information for the project;
2. Project management
- Support the state to set up a project steering committee to govern and manage the project;
- Establish the project as a brand in the state of Rajasthan pioneering a multi sectoral response to adolescent sexual and reproductive health;
- Responsible for the implementation, management, supervision and monitoring of all activities of the project;
- Analyse trends in the project, identifying issues and taking corrective actions;
- Identify additional inputs required to accomplish the results/deliverables under the project;
- Document lessons learned and best practices;
- Maintain effective communication with the team members, Client, Project Steering Committee and other stakeholders.
- Ensure quality of deliverables/ products developed and shared with government and Client;
- Organise periodic reviews to assess the progress of the project/ activities and guide team members on streamlining the activities as per the agreed timeframe;
3. External engagement
- Coordinate with the nodal departments in the State for implementation of project interventions;
- Establish and nurture external partnerships that will contribute to the success of CIFF investment;
- Ensure high quality interactions and clear and consistent communications with CIFF,including preparing tailored presentations for the CIFF Board;
4. Sustainability strategy
- Strategic thinking on long-term change, indicators, and linkages with other initiatives;
- Build and nurture high level political ownership for the project and use it to help state government to scale up the pilot interventions under the project;
- Oversee project budget development and undertake regular analysis of project expenditure,sub-awards and lead the preparation of budget amendments/modification;
- Identifying cost savings and having a commercial approach to operations;
- Ensure tracking of progress and fund utilisation as per the laid out financial plan;
- Delivering reports that track spend against budget and providing narrative of variances;
6.Managing Pay for Performance
- Integration of pay for performance in collaboration with CIFF evolving best practices;
- Negotiating, executing and managing complex, performance-based contracts/sub-grants.
As job descriptions cannot be exhaustive, Project Director - UDAAN may be required to undertake other duties as determined by Project Steering Committee that are broadly in line with the above key responsibilities.
Qualification & Experience
- Post Graduate in Management/ Public Health/ Social Sciences with minimum 15 years of experience in managing large projects/ programmes.
- Leadership/ management consulting experience in development or strategy organisation, either public or private, including responsibility for programme strategy,design and implementation;
- Exceptional results orientation combined with strong relationship management skills.Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with government counterparts, implementation partners, as well as, with development agencies & donors;
- Demonstrated experience building and leading strategic partnerships with key stakeholders from diverse sectors including NGOs, government and the private sector;
- Computer proficiency with high level of familiarity with data base management and commonly used packages like MS Word, Excel and Power Point, etc.
- Experiencing of implementing large scale cash transfer programmes or direct benefits transfer.
- Good operational understanding of secondary education, health and family planning and rural development sectors and programmes.
- Experience in leading and managing a diverse team of professionals. Proven track record of working with external partners, agencies and governments.
- Preference will be given to those having previous experience of working with demanding clients, private foundations and corporates.
Contract Type and Period
This will be a fixed term contract.
The contract will be initially for a period of one year, extendable thereafter, based on performance, for a likely period of 3 years. IPE Global is a fast growing organisation with a large portfolio of programmes in India/South-East Asia and Africa and there could be opportunity for long term association for exceptionally good candidates on mutually agreed terms.Download Job Description